Course Descriptor: People Handling Course.
To provide Participants with the necessary skills & knowledge to undertake patient handling in a safe, caring and efficient manner.
Participants who have completed this course will be able to:
- Recognise a Load which is too heavy.
- Understand the limitations of the Spine and the Muscular System.
- Lift and Handle Loads correctly.
- Move and Assist People in a Hospital, Nursing Home or a Home setting in a safe and efficient manner.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone involved in Manual / Patient Handling, which is defined as:
Transporting and supporting of a load, by one or more employees and includes lifting, putting down, pushing, pulling, carrying or moving a load, by reason of its characteristics or of unfavourable ergonomic condition involves risk, particularly of back injury to employees.
Duration: ½ day Manual Handling of Loads.
Duration:1 day Manual Handling / People (Patient) Handling.
– In the morning;
- Structure and Function of the human spine.
- The Law regarding Manual Handling.
- How to Recognise Hazardous Loads – PPE to be worn.
- Procedures for dealing with unfamiliar loads.
- Avoiding or reducing the need for Manual handling.
- Instruction and Practical Demonstration of – Good Manual Handling Techniques.
- Management of Manual Handling in the Workplace.
- Trainee Manual Handling Exercises with Instructor Critique
– In the afternoon:
- Sitting up
- Rolling a Patient in a bed
- Moving the Patient in the bed using slide sheets
- Sitting Patient at side of bed
- Sitting to standing
- Walking Patient from sitting
- Bed to Chair
- Moving of Patient from bed to trolley
- Use of Hoist
- Sit to stand
- Assist the fallen Patient
If the employee attends the full course and reaches the standard they will receive a Certificate valid for 2 years from Absolute Safety [1890 907 138].
If the employee changes to a new job a new course should be completed.